Gene krupa and his orchestra - that drummer's band
We begin with those trademark triplets, then learn of another Bonham signature. While more straightforward drummers like The Stones’ Charlie Watts played strict 4/4 beats with metronomic precision, Bonham was often so far behind the beat it was as if he played his drum parts in an echo chamber, with a syncopated swing he took from funk.
"He was the first rock drummer, in very many ways," Neil Peart told NPR of Gene Krupa in 2015. "He was the first drummer to command the spotlight and the first drummer to be celebrated for his solos... He did fundamentally easy things, but always made them look spectacular." Krupa's flailing attack, four-on-the-floor bass-drum tattoo and manically funky cowbell work – influenced by New Orleans drummers Baby Dodds and Zutty Singleton – drove Benny Goodman's innovative Thirties big band to new heights and in the process inspired a generation of future rock giants, including Keith Moon and John Bonham. Along with Buddy Rich, his opponent in epic drum battles that inspired today's "Gospel Chops" drum videos, Krupa is the godfather of drum-set artistry as sport and spectacle. The still-thriving tradition of the showstopping, arena-scale drummer star turn, from Bonham's "Moby Dick" to Peart's "The Rhythm Method," is unthinkable without him.
- Complications - Play Loud... & Pray Lords...
- Archaeopteryx - First Flight
- Stranger & Patsy* Stranger Cole And Patsy - Do You Remember / Why Did You
- Sex Pistols - Sir
- AZ - Gimme Yours
- Can't - Private Time (Part 2)
- 45 Adapters - Collected Works Vol. 1
- Kim Robertson - Wind Shadows
- Donny Osmond - Why / Lonely Boy
- Dazzle Drums - Out Of The Cage
- New Build - Medication (Repeat Prescription Version)
- Pekka Makkonen - Compact Radio 96.7 MHz
- Lige Curry - In And Out Of Space
- Max Porcelli - Unexpected EP
- Signs Of The Zodiac - Virgo
- Various - Siperia 15.10.04 Compilation
- Various - Rock The Place
- Les Freres Smith - La Marche Des Smith / Smithian Steppaz
- Pink Priest - Infant Tape
- Moby - All That I Need Is To Be Loved / Morning Dove